Communications and Media Consultant
The Public History Project (PHP) seeks a remote Communications and Media Consultant with expertise in organizing online media campaigns to help us develop and realize media strategy and communication materials. PHP plans to launch several upcoming media campaigns and online programs, and needs support to refine and manage the day-to-day systems and communications initiatives of our small remote team. The consultant will play a critical role developing and evolving organizational storytelling practices through all digital platforms in line with PHP’s mission of building towards structural change.
- 5 month contract: Nov 30, 2020–April 15, 2021, with potential for continued collaboration afterwards (PHP is out of office 12/23/2020 – 1/4/2021)
- Average 15-18 hours per week; $30-$38/hr based on experience level
- Remote Position
The Communications and Media Consultant will be responsible for the overall development and realization of PHP’s communications strategy and outreach initiatives during this time period. This will involve close collaboration with the administrator, program manager, researchers, and community partners to plan and oversee effective media campaigns in line with larger communications strategies. The Consultant will support the development and review of online campaign calendars and materials in order to translate our goals into actionable steps in a timely manner. They will conceptualize, manage production and realize promotional and communications based partnerships and relationships as well as respond to press inquiries and provide updates on PHP projects and programs to members of the press.
The Consultant will also be responsible for developing and designing the communication content. This includes producing and/or editing written and/or media content for the website, social media, newsletter and press materials in close dialogue with media producers including graphic artists, video editors, audio editors, etc. The Consultant will also help grow our audience and develop our social media presence.
Qualifications and/or Requirements
The ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 5 years of professional experience planning, managing, and executing social media, communication, and/or outreach campaigns
- Have previous experience in public engagement strategy; be able to tailor conversations and messages with consideration for different audiences and outreach goals; take complex ideas about public history and make them accessible to a larger audience
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit a past record of working in allyship with communities that have historically experienced institutional racism and oppression
- Feel aligned with The Public History Project’s mission and vision; have a personal connection to the Mahicannitukw/Hudson Estuary/NYC/Newark region
- Be an organized self-starter
- Have an outgoing personality and enjoy engaging with people, and storytelling about projects and issues they care about
- Be experienced in grassroots organizing while understanding the inner workings of institutions
- Have strong interpersonal skills and understand cross-generational and cross-cultural perspectives and differences
- Be bi/multilingual (a plus but not mandatory)
- Have a working technical knowledge of WordPress, social media platforms, and Google Docs
- Be familiar with remote co-working strategies and tech platforms such as Airtable, Slack and GDrive
We hope to hire someone immediately to start planning and building media campaigns. This is a consultant position and therefore we are open to developing a project timeline with the selected candidate. We anticipate an average of 15-18 hours/week with likely more in the initial onboarding stage with campaign planning and realization. There will be regular check-ins and follow ups.
How to Apply
Please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject headline “Communications and Media Consultant Position”:
- Cover letter
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Provide 5-8 examples of previous successful efforts led/developed. We accept web links and/or PDFs. If applicable, please provide short descriptions for additional context. Writing samples are welcome as well. For collaborative projects, please state your role in the project (ex. sole creator, graphic designer, producer, creative director, video editor, etc)
- Please provide two professional references and include their title, email and phone number
While applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, we hope to fill the position by late-November so please submit at your earliest convenience. Only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
As an organization committed to equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.